- Have you ever wanted to leave everything and move to a foreign country, like Theresa did? Did you ever do so? Why, or why not?
- Did you approve of the way Theresa tried to balance Kurdish and Western values? What could/should she have done differently?
- Do you think that Seema ended up being cut? Was it important to know for sure?
- If you were one of the expat teachers at The Fortress, what would you have done about the issue of academic integrity?
- The novel takes place in a peaceful window after Al Qaeda and just before the rise of ISIS. How do you think Rabinowitz reacted to ISIS taking over large swaths of Iraq?
- Do you think Theresa was brave versus foolish? Naive? Overly trusting? A hero or a victim? What decisions would you have made differently?
- Is there anything that Theresa could/should have done to protect Soz or Bezma?
- Who was your favorite character, and why? Was there one character that you especially related to?
- How might the story have changed if Theresa were 27, 37 or 47 instead of 57? What if she had been a man instead of a woman?
If you or your book club members have questions, write to the author and she will answer them.