Check out this music video showing some great scenes of village life in rural Kurdistan. Thanks to Thawra for sharing it.
October 29, 2018: Turkey is still bombing the Kurds fighting ISIS. And the US press turns a blind eye. Here’s a rare article reporting on current attacks.
Read more… [https://apnews.com/cd5b38d6c2dd40e3b268bb044d0b8d1f]
The current situation in Kurdish Iraq is volatile, and the entire region is in a state of flux. Few books are available; those that exist quickly become dated. Here are a few suggested resources:
- Ekurd.net — a good Internet resource for breaking news affecting the Kurdish people.
- Rudaw.net/english — another excellent site for up-to-the-minute reports.
- Daughters of Smoke and Fire by Ava Homa (Iranian Kurd)
- Take What You Can Carry by Gian Sardar (American of Kurdish descent)
- A Thousand Sighs, A Thousand Revolts: Journeys in Kurdistan by Christiane Bird, the very best overview of the region and history
- No Friends But the Mountains by Behrooz Boochani (Iranian Kurd held prisoner on Australian detention island, horrific)
- My Father’s Rifle: A Childhood in Kurdistan by Hiner Saleem (Iraqi Kurd)
- Love in Torn Land by Jean Sasson (Female Peshmergas in Iraq)
- Daughters of Kobani by Gayle Tzemach Lemmon (American journalist imbedded with female Peshmerga fighting ISIS in Syria)
- The Last Girl by Nadia Murad (Iraqi Yazidi captured by ISIS)
- Elvis is Titanic by Ian Klaus (American teacher in Irbil)
- Chaplin in the Mountains (my favorite, hilarious)
- Resistance is Life
- Turtles Can Fly
- A Time for Drunken Horses
- Half Moon
- Kilometre Zero
- Memories on Stone
American Herro is a film available on Amazon Prime and other outlets about Herro Mustafa. She came to the US as a child from Irbil in Kurdistan. Her family was fleeing Saddam Hussein. She became an important diplomat in the US State Department.
Other articles on the Kurds can be found below:
Twilight of the Kurds in Foreign Policy, January 16, 2018: Kurdish officials once dreamed of forging their own state out of the ashes of the war against the Islamic State. Now they are fighting for their very survival.
Reuters published a simple guide to the various political parties in Kurdish Iraq, their history and their aims (September 2018).
Kurds in the News: Founder of Chobani, a Turkish Kurd, tells his story in the New York Times August 26, 2018.
Click here to view photos from the author’s travels in Iraqi Kurdistan.